Love was never a heartbeat. It was the echo left behind after the heart forgot why it was still beating. It arrived wearing another person's face, its hands stitched together from promises that had already begun to rot. I welcomed it. Not because it was kind, but because loneliness knows how to mistake a wolf for warmth. Every smile it offered cast a longer shadow. Every whispered "forever" fed another ghost sleeping beneath my ribs. The thought of love is a clever liar. It builds cathedrals from broken mirrors, then asks us to kneel before our own reflections, calling the illusion destiny. How eagerly we obey. We water flowers that grow from graves, write poems to people who never truly existed, and embrace memories still unborn. Love watches. Silent. Patient. Like a spider waiting in the center of a web woven from hope. It never forces us inside. It simply lets us believe the silver threads are rays of morning light. By the time we understand, the sky has forgotten our ...
Nothing startles me now.
I have traversed the corridors of illusion
where truth hangs thin as smoke
and loyalty dissolves at the first tremor of desire.
I have watched affection molt into treachery,
seen devotion fracture like brittle glass
beneath the quiet weight of ambition.
The spectacle no longer unsettles me.
I have memorized its script.
Your betrayal was a ruthless tutor.
It pried open the sealed chambers of my innocence
and ushered in a colder, clearer dawn.
Where I once trusted without armor,
I now discern the tremor beneath every vow.
Your lies,
Ah, your carefully embroidered lies
did not unmake me.
They refined me in their fire.
Each false word etched wisdom into my marrow,
each deception honed the blade of my perception.
I no longer crumble at the unveiling.
I no longer tremble at the mask slipping.
For I have seen the architecture of duplicity,
its fragile scaffolding of pride and fear.
What once would have shattered my spirit
now merely sharpens it.
What once would have drowned me in sorrow
Now deepens my sight.
You imagined your betrayal as a storm.
But it was a forge.
You imagined your deceit would undo me.
But it was my awakening.
Nothing shocks me anymore.
I have stood in the ruins of trust
and discovered not devastation.
But revelation.
© 2026 Gloria Penelope
Comments